The Greater Antioch Missionary Baptist Church was organized on February 17, 1956 with Rev. Sloan as founder and Pastor. The services were held in the home of Mrs. Mamie McCray, a Methodist who maintained her membership with her community church in Don Luis, Arizona. At this time services were held every first and third Sunday.
Later in 1956, Rev. John W. Sledge approached Mrs. McCray seeking to organize a Baptist Church. During this time, she donated the land for the church and $ 100.00 to start the building fund. On February 10, 1957, it was decided to build a santuary and name the church. After much determination and prayer, the building was formally named Antioch Missionary Baptist Church.
In 1961, Rev. Willie Kelly of Tucson, Arizona continued the expansion of Antioch and during this time, the officers for the first cornerstone were acknowledged, they were: Deacon W.H. Shropshire (deceased), Deacon O. S. Williams, and Sister Frances "Jean" Whittom (deceased).
In addition to Rev. Sledge and Rev. Sloan, Antioch has been pastored by Rev. Louis Jordan (1963-1966); Rev. Alonzo Washington (1966-1972); Rev. Robert Cunningham (1972-1978); Rev. Warren Anderson (1978-1981); Rev. Robert Singleton (1981-1985); Rev. Alexander Mason (1985-1986); Rev. Kenneth Ransfer, Sr.(1986-1988); Rev. Jerome Rogers (1988-1989) ; Rev. Robert C. Beatty(1989-2010) ; Rev. Willie L Coleman Sr. (2012-2013) and Rev. Larry D. Smith ( 2013--Present).
Continuing in service, GAMBC expanded and became incorporated on January 1, 1983, under the leadership of Rev. Robert Singleton, Jr. A new santuary was built allowing us the much needed space for new members.
During the mortgage burning, the 2nd cornerstone was properly dedicated with members, visitors and officers Dea. Horace Green, Dea. Emory Davis(deceased), Dea. John Fisher(deceased), Sister Connie Johnson, Bro. Robert Johnson and Sis. Frances "Jean" Whittom(deceased) in attendance.
Greater Antioch Missionary Baptist Church has been a pillar in the community serving the needs of its members and community. Members are added to the rolls while sharing their talents and making an impact on the growth of the church.
Again, recognizing the need for space, additional plots of surrounding land was purchased and the next phase of our building fund was started. With much prayer, determination and tithing, our new multi-purpose building was completed on March 3, 2004. Our building consist of a computer lab, 5 classrooms, secretary office, with 1 classroom used as a nursery which was furnished by the Deaconess of the church and named in honor of one of the oldest mothers of the church (sis. Williams-deceased) and the Frances Jean Whittom Auditorium with stage. We are thankful to have the added additions which allowed a place for us to continue our ministries.
GAMBC has been active with the Paradise State Convention, Southern Arizona District Association, National Baptist Convention USA, Inc. and its Building Fund Project, has made several annual contributions to the American Baptist College, Nashville, Tennessee and is a lifetime member of the Greater Huachuca Area Branch of the NAACP.
Our ministries have continued to grow adding the Angels in Motion Praise Dance Team, Noon Day Prayer Service, Prayer Partners and Re-Convened our Prison Ministry.
New ministries has continued to grow which include the reactivation of the Dance Ministry ("Essence of Praise"),the Young Adult Ministry has been added and our Men's Ministry has been started again
The Missionary Society has been instrumental in providing Christmas and Thanksgiving Baskets, Clothing, Food and other needed items have been donated to the Children's Crisis Center, Forgach House, Good Neighbor Alliance and Mary's Mission. Missionary work continues with visits to the homes of members who are sick and shut in, those hospitalized or is in the Life Care Center. Our Sunday worship service is recorded and CD's are made available to those members absent from service or whoever desires them. Under the leadership of Pastor Smith a new Singles Ministry has been added.
From a dream to reality, Greater Antioch Missionary Baptist Church continues to serve the community. No one individual can claim responsibility for the tremendous growth and progress of our church through the years. We all should be able to say that anything and everything that has been accomplished over the past years was made possible by GOD's grace and a collective effort on the part of each and every member of the church.